Pumpkin puree is popular in fall holiday recipes but you should consider using it as a healthy addition or substitution in your diet all year long. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals and has many uses in recipes.
Health Benefits of Pumpkin:
Vitamin A & Carotenoids
Boosts your immune system as well as keeps your eyes, bones, and teeth healthy.
Vitamin E & K
Vitamin E helps keep your red blood cells healthy and protects your cells from free radicals. Vitamin K aids in bone and kidney function and also supports blood clotting.
Fiber helps you digest your food efficiently, which helps your body absorb the nutrients from your food.
Helps you produce energy by supporting carbohydrate metabolism and supports nerve function.
A few uses for pumpkin puree:
- Blend into your warm oatmeal.
- Add to plain yogurt with a dash of cinnamon and stevia.
- Add to smoothies for a rich pumpkin treat and some added potassium. (Potassium can help restore electrolytes and maintain fluids in your body after a good workout. That ensures your muscles recover properly and helps you avoid cramping).
Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake Recipe
- Add to chili, soup, stews. It will add a subtle rich flavor with many nutrients as well as thicken it.
Black Bean Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Substitute for oil or eggs when baking
- 1 egg = ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup oil = 1 cup pumpkin puree